Ik heb gisterenavond het vierde boek in deze zesdelige serie van Diana Gabaldon uitgelezen: Der Ruf der Trommel, een pil van 1200 bladzijden.
De voorgaande titels in deze serie waren ook niet zo dunnetjes: Ferne Ufer (1088 blz), Die geliehene Zeit (979 blz) en Feuer und Stein (799 blz). En ik moet zeggen, ondanks het lange verhaal dat tot nog toe steeds van dezelfde personen handelt, blijft het uitermate boeiend!
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins Pseudonym: Diana Gabaldon
Born: January 11, 1952
Arizona (USA) Flag of United States
Nationality: United States of America Flag of United States
Writing period: 1991 – Present
Genres: Romance, Time-Travel
Debut works: Cross Stitch = Outlander
Diana Jean Gabaldon (born January 11, 1952 in Arizona), Mrs. of Doug Watkins, is an American author of Mexican and English ancestry.
Diana Gabaldon most successful books are the best-selling Outlander Series. Her books are difficult to classify by genre, since they contain elements of romantic fiction, historical fiction, and science fiction (in the form of time travel). Her first fiction efforts were posted on the CompuServe writers forum. Favorable feedback from other members of this forum persuaded her to finish and publish the first book in the Outlander series. The stories center around a time-travelling 20th-century nurse (Claire Beauchamp Randall Fraser) and her 18th-century Scottish husband (James Fraser), and are located in Scotland, France, and America. The Lord John Series is a spinoff from the Outlander books, as it centers on a secondary character from the original series.
Diana Jean Gabaldon was born in January 11, 1952 in Arizona. Her father was from New Mexico and her mother from Yorksire (England).
Diana grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona with her husband Doug Watkins and her three children. She has received three degrees from two different institutions:
* B.S. in Zoology from Northern Arizona University, 1970-1973.
* M.S. in Marine Biology from the University of California, San Diego, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1973-1975. Her research topic was, “Agonistic Interactions of Hermit Crabs.”
* Ph.D in Ecology from Northern Arizona University, 1975-1978. Dissertation: “Nest Site Selection in Pinyon Jays, _Gymnorhynchus cyanocephalus).”
* 01. Cross Stitch (1991) (UK)= Outlander (1992)
* 02. Dragonfly in Amber (1992)
* 03. Voyager (1994)
* 04. Drums of Autumn (1997)
* 05. The Fiery Cross (2001)
* 06. A Breath of Snow and Ashes (2005)
Lord John Grey Series
* 01. Hellfire in “PAST POISONS” (1998) = Lord John and the Hellfire Club
* 02. Lord John and the Private Matter (2003)
* 03. Lord John and the Succubus – novella, in Legends II, edited by Robert Silverberg (2004)
* 04. Lord John and the haunted soldier (2006) “”LORD JOHN AND THE HAND OF DEVILS”””
* Naked Came the Phoenix (2001)
* White Knight (2004)
* The Outlandish Companion (nonfiction) (1999)
* September 24, 2006 Diana Gabaldon received the International Corine Book Award 2006 in the category Weltbild Readers Award, which was determined by a public vote on the web page of the publisher.
* October 10, 2006 Diana Gabaldon received the Quill Book Award 2006 in the category Science Fiction / Fantasy / Horror, which was determined by a public vote on the Internet. In order to receive the nomination the author was required to meet one of several possible criteria, such as an appearance on the best seller list of Borders Group Inc., or a starred review in Publishers Weekly.